I got rid of a bunch of pieces that were no longer practical, and ruthlessly culled my sizeable collection of ‘theoretically’ smart purchases. You know the ones… they seem to make sense, then never see the light of day.
Admittedly, I’ve always been a bit of a clothes horse – albeit a very thrifty one – and I’m lucky to have plenty of closet space. But lately, most of what I own just sits, and it was clearly time to edit. There is a limit! Plus, now that I’m running my own businesses from home, my requirements have undergone a pretty significant shift. These days, I’d rather be working at what I love than worrying about what to wear.
Fortunately, after filtering through my closet with a fine tooth comb, I find myself in a pretty good position. By paying attention to my daily patterns, my style preferences, and my own proportions, it seems I’ve slowly managed to put together quite a workable wardrobe. Who knew! Built on a foundation of timeless classics, and personalized with a few favourite accessories, I may have reached a point where I have almost everything I need. Huh?
And, post-purge, I may have finally learned that less is more. That’s right! From now on, I can actually approach my closet with my time in mind – and invest. I’m not just talking about cost-per-wear, since most of my stuff still comes from the thrift store. Instead, I’m talking about only shopping for top-quality pieces to strategically complement or replace what I already have. Pieces that will fill the gaps and/or really last.
Why? Because I want to dress with style, but spend less time in stores, even if it costs a little bit more.
None of this to say I won’t be swayed by a gorgeous splurge or an unbelievable sale…but for the most part, I plan to shop smart. Trends be damned. This year my fall fashion wish list is more like a watch list. I’ll be staying focused on very few items, keeping my eyes open, and waiting for the just right moment.
- Merino Camel Cardigan – Merino V-Neck Cardigan – J.Crew
- Black Jacket – Tahari Ava Jacket – Holt Renfrew
- Brown Tote – Michael Kors Hamilton Tote – Holt Renfrew
- Leopard Skin Flats – Nora Calf Hair Ballet Flat – J. Crew
- Clogs – Milbridge Clogs- LLBean Signature
- Silk Tie Blouse – Bow Tie Silk Shirt - Joe Fresh
- Statement Schoolboy Jacket- Smthye Warbler Tribute Jacket – ELuxe.ca
- Red Scarf – Reversible Link & Diamond Scarf – Talbots
- Grey Shift – Cornelia Houndstooth Dress – Tory Burch
- Black Equestrian Boots – The Archive Boot – Madewell